Monday, August 2, 2010

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins



I was really excited about making these. Not only are they healthy, but they taste great too! I saw this recipe in a recent Cooking Light magazine and knew i had to make them. Because of the name, many people think that they're gross because they have oatmeal in them or something. Well they're wrong! The texture is soft and moist and they taste like you wouldn't believe.

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
from Cooking Light

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fat free buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 large eggs
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
cooking spray
2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
Directions:
-Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place oats in food processor or blender and pulse 5 to 6 times or until oats resemble coarse meal. Place in large bowl.
-Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Add flours and next five ingredients (through salt) to oats in bowl. Still well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture.
-Combine buttermilk, oil, rind, and eggs in small bowl. stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture and stir just until moist.
-Toss blueberries with 2 tablespoons flour and gently fold them into the mixture.
-Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray and sprinkle batter with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when gently touched. Remove from pan, cool or wire racks, and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hello.
    I am very happy you decided to post on my blog. You have anorexia? Yes, I know that it is hard. In fact it was and still is the toughest thing I have to deal with in my life. I am more than willing to support you in any way possible. Please continue to contact me when you need to, I'd love to help you. Anything to battle agaisnt this disease.

    Right now things may seem bleak but always remember that this disease doesn't have to be fatal. It also doesn't need to control your life. Right now, I can live how I want and eat what I want, whenever I want. You can too. So, feel free to e-mail me when you need a helping hand.

    Much love,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I started this blog because i love to bake and try new things and i'm trying not to have my disease hold me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sound like me... your interests, ED, etc...
    see my ED blog - Tia @ Dietcolagirl

    ReplyDelete