Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


Yay more pumpkin recipes! I've been finding even more ways to use pumpkin. I usually use them in desserts, but lately I've been thinking about using them in main dishes. There's lots more pumpkin recipes to come, I want to try them all before the season is over.

I've always wanted to make whoopie pies. The name sounds fun and they always look really good. I've made sandwich cookies before but they were the hard kind that aren't good after they harden too much. This cookie is great because it's almost cake-like. It's very soft and it never gets hard. This was also another great way to use pumpkin! The recipe called for 3 cups of pumpkin but I only used two cups and it was still delicious. Everyone loved them and I'm sure they'll be gone soon ;)

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
recipe from Annie's Eats

Ingredients:
for the cookies
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup canola oil
3 cups chilled pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the cream cheese filling:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
To make the pumpkin cookies, preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (I used aluminum foil). In large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside. In separate bowl, whisk sugar and oils together. Add the pumpkin puree and whisk to combine thoroughly. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the pumpkin mixture and whisk until completely combined. (Batter should be smooth. Not doughy.)

Use a small ice cream scoop to drop pumpkin mixture onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are just starting to crack on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cookie comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on pan for 4 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining pumpkin mixture.

To make the filling, in a bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth with no visible lumps. Add the cream cheese and beat until combined. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Be careful to not over beat the filling or it will lose structure.

To assemble, turn half of the cookies upside down. Pipe filling onto the flat side of the overturned cookies. Place another cookie, flat side down, on top of the filling. Press down slightly so that the filling spreads to the edge of the cookie. Repeat until all the cookies are used. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Yield: about 21 sandwich cookies

11 comments:

  1. I've tried these before and they are good! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH!!! You did brilliant! They look lovely. :) I really love Annie's Eats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you, I want to try so many pumpkin recipes. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had a pumpkin whoopie pie recipe bookmarked! I always open up a giant jar of pumpkin puree, and then I'm stuck making all kinds of pumpkin recipes. Not that I'm complaining! They look sooo pretty! Love the color of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen these, they look fantastic! I've been loving pumpkin lately! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a fan of anything pumpkin...especially when it involves cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pumpkin whoopie pies! They are one of my favorites :) Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, I love pumpkin whoopie pies! Especially with cream cheese frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look great. I think I've made pumpkin cookies (without filling) before and they were also cake-like which I liked a lot. Thinking back to the profiteroles I posted yesterday, I wonder if these would taste good with a pumpkin ice cream filling (or would that be pumpkin overkill?) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried my first pumpkin whoopie pie recently and it was amazing. Yours look super yummy, I love pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete